Neurodermatitis disease is a chronic inflammatory process in the skin that has a neuro-allergic nature. The prevalence of this disease is 40% of the total number of all skin diseases.
Most often they are ill with children, and the disease usually disappears during puberty. For the first time the symptoms of atopic dermatitis were described in 891 and was considered as a skin ailment that occurs after scratching itchy areas.
Itchy areas of skin are quite healthy, because the problem is not in the condition of the skin, but in the resulting itching. In the process of permanent scarring, the skin becomes coarser and scales. If you stop combing your skin, it will return to normal after a while - it depends on the severity of neurodermatitis. Skin damage can lead to inflammation and bacterial infections of its upper layers.
Today we will talk about atopic dermatitis, symptoms, photos and treatment of this disease will be discussed in this article.
Causes of Neurodermatitis
Despite many years of studying the problem of neurodermatitis, there are still a lot of “white spots” in its etiology and pathogenesis.
It may be as allergic to the material of pillows or household chemicals, and animal dander and plant pollen and the like. In adults, the disease can be provoked by poor working conditions or a very strong stressful situation.
The causes of neurodermatitis can be:
- predisposition to allergic reactions burdened by heredity;
- any disturbances in the functional work of the central nervous system;
- stress, depression;
- mental and physical stress;
- diseases of the digestive system;
- reduced immunity;
- intoxication of the body;
- foci of various chronic infections.
Psychogenic factors, intoxication, endogenous and exogenous stimuli, endocrine disorders, pregnancy, lactation, etc. can serve as an impetus for the onset and progression of neurodermatitis. Neurodermatitis is most common on the hands, which is treated as prescribed by a doctor.
There are 7 main types of neurodermatitis, the symptoms of each form are somewhat individual.
- Limited - occurs on minor areas of the skin. In this case, the skin manifestations have the appearance of plaques consisting of small papules. The skin itself becomes dry, hardened, and as if sprinkled with flour.
- Diffuse - characterized by rashes in large quantities and the ability to occur at any age. Symmetric skin located on the neck, face, knee and elbow bends, inner thighs and chest is characteristic of inflammations. The affected areas are endowed with a grayish tint, combing leads to the appearance of crusts and the formation of dense nodular formations.
- Hypertrophic - characterized by the manifestation of tumors in the inguinal zone.
- Linear - marked by itchy stripes on the folds of the limbs.
- Psoriasiform - is allocated located on the head and neck compacted reddened foci, covered with crushed scales.
- Follicular - characterized by pointed papules on the scalp.
- Dekalviruyuschy - appears on the hair parts of the body, followed by baldness.
Symptoms of Neurodermatitis
In the case of neurodermatitis, the first symptom is a rash and severe itching in the neck. It then spreads to the forehead, cheeks, eye lids and mouth area. The next places of localization of rash and pruritus are the region of the genitals and buttocks, elbow and knee folds.
The skin on the affected areas becomes red and gradually begins to peel off. In advanced cases of the disease, tiny bubbles appear on the skin, leaving behind a thin, dried skin crust.
Sometimes itching from neurodermatitis is so severe that a person cannot control himself and combs all the inflamed areas of skin, which, as a rule, begin to get wet, but dry quickly. Neurodermatitis on the hands delivers a lot of trouble because of moisture, as well as mechanical effects, which leads to aggravation of the disease.
Symptoms of neurodermatitis are more noticeable in the winter, as well as in the evening, by summer, symptoms are relieved.
This disease has a negative effect on the adrenal function of the patient, so his skin may darken slightly. Permanent companions of neurodermatitis are fatigue, apathy towards the outside world, weakness, a decrease in pressure and a decrease in the level of glucose in the blood. Neurodermatitis can cause inflammation of the lymph nodes and a number of other diseases.
The main symptom of neurodermatitis on the hands is the same - severe itching, accompanied by dry skin on the hands and manifestation of the palm pattern in a more pronounced form, which is clearly seen in the photo affected by the neurodermatitis of the hands. Quite often, atopic dermatitis affects the area of the elbow joints and the area of flexion of the forearms. During the hygiene procedures for washing the affected areas, pain and discomfort is felt, and the use of products such as gels, shower soap or creams and lotions, leads to the aggravation of the problem.
Also, as on the face, neurodermatitis on the hands can form nodular elements, peeling of the skin and scales of dying epithelium, which eventually become crusts and begin to get wet. Later, such formations disappear and wounds are formed on the place of the former crusts, which bleed, itch and prolong the disease process.
A large number of cases of neurodermatitis on the hands flows into the chronic form and can be systematically exacerbated.
What is atopic dermatitis in the hands and face, below are detailed photos.
Laboratory, instrumental and functional diagnostic methods do not exist, so the doctor makes a diagnosis based on a visual examination of the patient.
In some cases, the doctor suggests that a clinical analysis of blood and blood for immunoglobulins be given to the patient to clarify the diagnosis. If the results show that the number of eosinophils and IgE is increased in the blood, then the diagnosis of neurodermatitis can be considered proven. There is also a biopsy method, when a fragment of the skin is examined under a microscope to detect a pattern characteristic of neurodermatitis, but in practice this method is used extremely rarely.
When conducting diagnostics, it is very important to conduct differential diagnostics in order not to confuse pathology with other skin diseases:
In most cases, the correct diagnosis is made at the first visit to the dermatologist.
Drug treatment of neurodermatitis is carried out with antiallergic (claritin, suprastin, zyrtec, etc.) and sedatives (motherwort tincture, valerian, novopassit).
To relieve itching, the doctor will advise you to apply hormone containing ointments, for example, hydrocortisone ointment. Such ointments can be used for a long time.
If you want to succeed and really cure atopic dermatitis on the hands or other parts of the body, a single drug treatment may not be enough. It is important to observe the following rules:
- Observe the mode of the day: limit physical and mental stress, get enough sleep and eat right.
- Fully relax. Useful vacation at the seaside resort.
- To temper and take a complex of vitamins and minerals, selected by a doctor. These measures will help strengthen the immune system, as well as reduce the symptoms of neurodermatitis.
- Avoid stressful conditions.
- Treat life with optimism.
If all previous methods do not help and your condition only worsens, a doctor with neurodermatitis may prescribe hormonal therapy for oral administration and physiotherapy. Do not forget that you can treat neurodermatitis and folk remedies, use: decoction of herbs to soothe itching (chamomile, St. John's wort), ointments and creams. Before using these tools, be sure to consult with your doctor.
Neurodermatitis is not a dangerous disease, but can cause the development of skin infections, the spread of which contributes to the constant scratching.
How to treat atopic dermatitis folk remedies
Traditional medicine has a great, centuries-old experience in the treatment of neurodermatitis. With the permission of the attending physician, you can use self-made, natural ointments, which are rubbed into the damaged skin, as well as using other methods:
- With a large skin lesion take bath with the addition of chamomile tinctures, a series and oak bark.
- To moisturize dry skin, it is lubricated with oils or fats.
- Prepare special compresses that are applied to the affected skin. Chamomile, calendula, sophora, nettle, mint are used as ingredients. Such compresses should be used until complete cure, otherwise the disease may return.
- In addition, with neurodermatitis using ointment with propolis, burdock, plantain.
- Often, medicinal tinctures of chamomile, mint, coltsfoot, calendula are used as teas, preferably on an empty stomach, in order not only to eliminate inflammation, but also to strengthen the body.
In addition, in order to effectively treat atopic dermatitis at home, a diet with the restriction of spicy and smoked products, salt, and alcoholic beverages is necessary.
Nutrition and dieting
In the process of treating skin pathology, it is important to adhere to the rules of nutrition. Diet for neurodermatitis in adults is based on a portion of the diet without overeating.
|You can eat||Should be limited|
In the diet must be present fresh vegetables with plenty of fiber. Consumption of meat and fish should be limited. It is recommended to eat meat in boiled form with the addition of greenery - it facilitates the digestion of dishes.
Prevention of neurodermatitis is reduced to the observance of a rational diet, which involves the rejection of spicy, smoked, alcoholic beverages and the like. A significant role is played by the timely diagnosis and treatment of diseases that can cause the occurrence of neurodermatitis (nervous diseases, diseases of the digestive tract, the endocrine system).