Chronic pharyngitis is a disease in which the chronic inflammatory process is found in the mucous membrane and lymphoid apparatus of the pharynx.
The main causes of the disease: prolonged inhalation of polluted air, smoking and alcohol abuse.
Not rarely, chronic pharyngitis in adults is accompanied by diseases of the digestive system, in which there is a retrograde reflux of gastric contents into the throat and oral cavity.
Why does chronic pharyngitis occur, and what is it? This disease is rarely an independent disease, often develops as a result of a decrease in local immunity of the pharyngeal mucosa under the influence of various external and internal factors.
The emergence of the disease contribute to:
- Frequent recurrences of acute pharyngitis.
- Catarrhal diseases that are not accompanied by adequate full treatment.
- Eating irritating substances - sharp, pepper, acidic foods, alcohol.
- Long tobacco smoking and abuse of strong alcoholic beverages.
- Accommodation in areas with a highly polluted atmosphere.
- Allergic reactions of the delayed type.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease with a systematic injection of hydrochloric acid through the esophagus into the larynx.
- Chronic inflammatory processes in the mouth - chronic tonsillitis (inflammation of the tonsils), diseases of the teeth and gums.
- Professional employment in hazardous industries (chemical, metallurgical, food enterprises).
The question of how long the treatment of pharyngitis in adults lasts is difficult to give an unequivocal answer. This period depends on the degree of neglect of the disease and the chosen method to help eliminate the symptoms, and, subsequently, the cause.
Forms of the disease
There are several types of chronic pharyngitis.
- Catarral (simple) - persistent diffuse venous hyperemia, edema of the mucous membrane, dilatation and stasis of small caliber veins, dilation of the excretory ducts and hypersecretion of the mucous glands.
- Allergic - a result of a local allergic reaction, has a causal relationship between the allergen and the onset of symptoms of the disease, and the allergen may be contained in both food and inhaled air.
- Atrophic - characterized by dry throat, difficulty swallowing, as well as an unpleasant odor from the mouth. The patient uses a lot of fluids, especially during long conversations.
- Hypertrophic - there is a selection of a large number of mucous clots that settle on the walls of the pharynx, while the sky and tongue will inflame. The patient in these cases wants to constantly cough and expectoration. Sometimes coughing occurs with nausea.
In children, catarrhal, hypertrophic (granular) and lateral pharyngitis are more common, rarely atrophic. The latter is often combined with chronic rhinitis. Therefore, how to treat chronic pharyngitis will directly depend on the form of the disease, as well as the corresponding symptoms.
The most prominent signs of a chronic form are:
- Dryness, tickling, foreign body sensation in the throat, cough.
- The discharge of a viscous secret, especially in the morning.
- Not often complaints do not correspond to the pharyngoscopic picture - they may be insignificant or absent with marked changes in the pharyngeal mucosa and vice versa.
Chronic pharyngitis develops slowly over many years. His every exacerbation is replaced by remission, when all signs of the disease are expressed implicitly.
Symptoms of chronic pharyngitis in adults
In the chronic form of the disease, there is complete catarrhal damage to the pharynx, as well as the nasopharyngeal mucosa. Sometimes the parts of the auditory tube and paranasal sinuses are affected.
Symptoms of chronic pharyngitis in adults are less pronounced in contrast to the acute form, and the disease is almost asymptomatic - there is no fever, depression, but at the same time sore, dryness, hoarseness and a feeling of a lump in the throat are constantly present. Patients can torment a dry cough, they want to quickly clear their throats, but attempts are in vain.
The standard clinical picture of symptoms includes:
- moderate sore throat;
- nausea, gag reflex on expectoration;
- dryness, irritation in the throat, especially when inhaling hot, cold air;
- the presence of viscous secretions in the throat in a small amount;
- the feeling that there is a lump in the throat, a foreign body (it happens sometimes);
- coughing up;
- cervical lymphadenitis;
- increased symptoms of the disease in the morning, gradually subsiding during the day;
With the exacerbation of the disease in adults, all signs of chronic pharyngitis are observed, significantly enhanced, complemented by fever, sore throat, symptoms of general intoxication of the body.
Chronic pharyngitis photo
We recommend viewing the photo to find out how this disease looks.
Treatment of chronic pharyngitis
The question of how to cure chronic pharyngitis worries every patient. This can be done unequivocally, but only with the right approach. Very often, adults begin to use folk remedies, without having established the causes of the disease.
Various inhalations and even self-prescribed antibiotics may not be harmful, but the consequences of treatment with improvised means are always unpredictable. Therefore, when starting treatment of pharyngitis in adults, you need to clearly realize that you cannot do without a doctor here, since the healing process should be comprehensive.
So, how to treat chronic sore throat? It all depends on the cause of the disease. If it lies in allergies, antihistamines are prescribed. If pharyngitis is associated with gastroesophageal reflux disease, you should change your diet and lifestyle. In any case, the patient should take care of a good hydration of the mucous membranes of the throat.
Treatment of chronic pharyngitis in adults is as follows:
- The use of drugs, in the appointment of a doctor - antibiotics.
- Passing physiotherapy, for example - warming, laser or UHF.
- Folk remedies are used - gargling with herbs, washing the tonsils, lubricating with special solutions and spraying irrigation.
Also common indications for all types of treatment are a reduction in the load on the larynx, for this you need:
- Talk less.
- To exclude from the diet foods that irritate the mucous membrane of the throat (caffeine, alcohol).
- It is forbidden to eat excessively hot or cold food.
- Required long breaks after the forced strain of the voice.
Such a complex treatment will reduce the inflammatory process and improve the functioning of the stomach. It is necessary to treat this ailment strictly individually, then it will be possible to cure it.
How to treat pharyngitis folk remedies
Inhalation and rinsing is a good way to treat pharyngitis, but it should be borne in mind that folk remedies should be combined with medication, in order to prevent the development of various complications.
- 30 drops of tincture 30% propolis for 0.5 cup of warm water - use for rinsing.
- On 2 parts of coltsfoot take 1 part of mint. 1 tbsp. l pour a glass of boiling water. Apply to rinses and inhalations.
- Take 20 g of kidneys or just needles, pour a glass of boiling water, insist. Use for inhalation.
- Mix 1 part of linden and calendula flowers, 2 parts of sage. 1 tbsp. l collection pour 200 ml of boiling water, insist 1 hour, use 20-30 ml of infusion for 1 inhalation.
All these tools are good and effective enough, but still, if after a few days there is no relief, and the condition has worsened, be sure to consult a doctor.