Velaxin (Velaxin) is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor and norepinephrine.
It is one of the drugs that is beneficial for depressive and anxiety disorders of various origins. Gently removes the main manifestations of depression, stimulating the body to include biological defense functions.
On this page you will find all the information about Velaksin: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Velaxin. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Velaxine? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 900 rubles.
Release form and composition
The release form of the drug is small pills. The color is white (a slight shade may be present). A form flat with deepening (facet) in the middle. There is an engraving (E741). The smell is absent.
Composition - the active component venlafaxine hydrochloride. Cellulose, magnesium stearate, lactose and other excipients are also present. Available in pharmacies in cartons and blisters of 14 or 28 tablets per pack.
The drug prevents the reuptake of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, thereby increasing their concentration and potentiating their action. Unlike other antidepressants, does not show cholinergic, muscarinic and adrenergic actions, therefore it can also be used to treat elderly patients. It does not affect the activity of monoamine oxidase, and is also not related to opiates and beodiazepines.
Absorbed into the blood in the digestive tract, the maximum concentration observed within four hours after administration. After taking the pill during the meal, the time to detect the maximum concentration of the drug in the blood increases by half an hour.
Indications for use
What is necessary for such a tool as "Velaksin"? The use of this drug is indicated for depression of various origins (for treatment and prevention).
Contraindications to the appointment of the drug are:
- Age up to 18 years.
- Estimated or established pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding period.
- Severe disruption of the liver.
- Severe renal impairment.
- The simultaneous use of MAO inhibitors.
- Individual intolerance to the active substance or one of the auxiliary components of the drug.
With caution, tablets and capsules are prescribed for unstable angina, elevated intraocular pressure, seizures and manicures in patients with anxiety, suicidal tendencies, susceptibility to bleeding, recent myocardial infarction, tachycardia, arterial hypertension, cardiac insufficiency, hypocardia, cardiac insufficiency, tachycardia, arterial hypertension, cardiac insufficiency, cardiac insufficiency, cardiac insufficiency, tachycardia. diseases of the coronary arteries, angle-closure glaucoma, hepatic and renal failure, as well as the simultaneous use of diuretics.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The safety of venlafaxine during pregnancy has not been proven, therefore, use during pregnancy (or presumptive pregnancy) is possible only if the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the possible risk to the fetus. Women of childbearing age should be warned about this before starting treatment and should immediately consult a doctor if pregnancy occurs or pregnancy planning during the period of drug treatment.
Venlafaxine and EFA are excreted into breast milk. The safety of these substances for newborns is not proven, so taking venlafaxine during breastfeeding is not recommended. If necessary, taking the drug during lactation should decide on the termination of breastfeeding. If the mother’s treatment was completed shortly before delivery, the newborn may experience withdrawal symptoms.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that Velaksin is taken orally. Both forms of release should be taken during meals. It is recommended to start therapy with a dosage of 75 mg / day with a dose split into two doses (for tablet dosage form). The capsule is taken whole, not broken. In capsule form, the entire dosage is taken 1 time / day.
- After the development of therapeutic effect, the dosage should be reduced. At the same time, it is necessary to choose the minimum effective dosage and to conduct it by her supporting therapy. Treatment of supporting nature can last more than six months.
- In the absence of a sufficient therapeutic effect, the dosage is increased to 150 mg / day, dividing the dose into two doses. Perhaps an increase in daily dosage to 375 mg / day. In severe depressions, it is possible to start therapy with a dosage of 150 mg / day, with a dose titration every 3 days for 75 mg.
Features of reception at various groups of people:
- Dosage adjustment is not carried out in patients with renal insufficiency with CC more than 30 ml / min. In case of malnutrition of the kidneys of moderate severity (CK equal to 10-30 ml / min), the dosage is prescribed, reduced by 25-50%. In this case, the entire dose is taken at once.
- When treating patients with mild hepatic impairment, dose adjustment is not performed. For violations of the liver of moderate severity, 50% of the standard daily dosage is prescribed.
- In gerontological patients only minimally effective dosages are used.
- Patients who are on hemodialysis are prescribed 50% of the standard daily dosage. The dose should be carried out after hemodialysis measures.
In elderly patients, the drug should be used with caution in connection with the possibility of impaired renal function. The smallest effective dose should be applied. At higher doses, the patient must be under close medical supervision.
At the end of the use of the drug Velaksin, it is recommended to gradually reduce the dose of the drug, at least for a week, and monitor the patient's condition in order to minimize the risk associated with discontinuation of the drug.
The period required for complete discontinuation of the drug depends on the dose, the duration of the course of treatment and the individual characteristics of the patient.
When using Velaxin, you may experience headaches, chills, fatigue, abdominal pain, weakness, fever and the following side effects:
- Weight loss, hepatitis, hyponatremia and increased prolactin levels (metabolism);
- Erectile dysfunction, galactorrhea, decreased libido, urinary retention, menorrhagia, anorgasmia, and menstrual disorders (urogenital system);
- Mydriasis, impaired taste, tinnitus, impaired vision and accommodation (sense organs);
- Rhabdomyolysis, myalgia, muscle spasm and arthralgia (locomotor system).
- Photosensitivity reactions, pruritus and Stevens-Johnson syndrome, sweating, maculo-papular rash and rash, erythema multiforme, angioedema, alopecia and urticaria (skin).
The drug can also cause side effects from various body systems, namely:
- Nausea, constipation, vomiting, loss of appetite, dry mouth, bruxism and pancreatitis (gastrointestinal tract);
- Aplastic anemia, ecchymosis, neutropenia, prolongation of bleeding time, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia and agranulocytosis (hematopoietic system).
- Ventricular tachycardia, arterial hypertension, prolongation of the QT interval, rapid heartbeat, fainting, ventricular fibrillation, tachycardia, and orthostatic hypotension (cardiovascular system);
- Insomnia, confusion and dizziness, unusual dreams, paresthesia and agitation, tremor, drowsiness and anxiety, apathy, increased muscle tone and ataxia, hallucinations, seizures and myoclonus, extrapyramidal disorders and speech disorders (nervous system).
After a dose reduction or abrupt withdrawal of the drug, the following adverse reactions may appear: nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, diarrhea, anorexia, dizziness, headache, drowsiness, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, disorientation, irritability, paresthesia, hypomania, sweating. These side effects are usually mild. In most cases, they pass on their own.
An overdose of Velaxin is manifested by a change in ECG, bradycardia, sinus or ventricular tachycardia, arterial hypotension, depression of consciousness, convulsive states, death (while taking psychotropic drugs and alcohol).
In such cases, symptomatic treatment is required with continuous monitoring of vital functions. Vomiting is not recommended due to the danger of aspiration.
When applying Velaksin should be borne in mind that:
- At the beginning of drug treatment and when it is canceled, aggression is possible;
- During treatment is not recommended the use of alcoholic beverages;
- Patients taking the drug, due to the high risk of suicidal thoughts and attempts should be constantly under medical supervision;
- The drug is carefully prescribed to patients with mania or hypomania;
- The drug when taken with haloperidol enhances the effects of the latter;
- Patients are recommended regular monitoring of blood pressure (especially at the beginning of treatment);
- When taking the drug may reduce the ability to make judgments, the deterioration of thinking, attention, performance of motor functions;
- In elderly patients, the drug is used in the lowest effective dose;
- At the same time taking the drug with clozapine may develop convulsive seizures;
- Velaksin is carefully prescribed at the same time as antipsychotic drugs, since symptoms may develop that resemble a neuroleptic malignant syndrome;
- During the first weeks of therapy, psychomotor arousal may develop in patients, which is characterized by anxiety and a constant desire to move. In such cases, consider whether to continue treatment with the drug;
Abrupt discontinuation of Velaxin can lead to the development of withdrawal symptoms such as dizziness, electric current, paresthesia, sleep disturbances, agitation or anxiety, tremor, nausea and vomiting, headache, sweating, diarrhea, emotional instability, rapid and intense heartbeat.
With the simultaneous use of Velaxin with certain drugs, the following effects may occur:
- Clozapine: the development of side effects (for example, epileptic seizures) and an increase in its level in the blood plasma;
- Lithium: increase its level;
- Haloperidol: increasing its effects, which is associated with an increase in its concentration in the blood;
- Anticoagulants: enhancing their effect.
The combined use of Velaxin with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO) is contraindicated. It is possible to begin drug therapy no earlier than 14 days after the end of the use of MAO inhibitors. If moclobemide (a reversible MAO inhibitor) was used, this break may be shorter (24 hours). Treatment with MAO inhibitors can be started no earlier than 7 days after discontinuation of Velaxin.
When combined with drugs that are inhibitors of CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 enzymes, care must be taken.
We picked up some reviews of people about the drug Velaksin:
- Stas. I drink Velaksin 75 mg per day. There was energy, began to feel the muscles. Prior to that, venlaxor was worse in this regard.
- Irina. I drink velksin half a year. First 75 twice a day. After 4 months at 37.5, also twice. Today I do not drink two days, there is no time to buy. Tachycardia, sweat stream, dizzy. I'll send my son for the drug. i feel better with them Gone pressing pain in the heart. Calm as a mammoth. The truth is always sleeping. Let it be so, but the pressure was high, now it does not rise above 135. True to the doctor reluctance. How much can you drink them.? Without the recommendation of a doctor.
- Stepan. He experienced severe depression. As a maintenance therapy, the doctors prescribed me a course of taking Velaxin. After treatment, there is no worsening of the condition for half a year already, but drowsiness and headaches torment me.
According to reviews of people, especially this drug often causes such negative reactions as drowsiness, weakness, insomnia, seizures, mental disorders, depression and confusion. In addition, some patients claim that such effects remain after treatment is completed. Also, many users complain of the appearance of withdrawal syndrome and dependence.
Analogs of Velaksin are: Alventa, Velafax, Velafax MB, Venlafaxine, Venlaksor, Venlift OD, Newevelong, Efectin Depot.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store in a dry place inaccessible to the sun and protected from children, at room temperature not exceeding 30 ° C. Shelf life of tablets - 5 years; capsules - 4 years from the moment of release.