Gastal refers to antacid drugs - drugs that reduce the acidity of the stomach.
Additional tasks include the removal of heartburn, elimination of increased gas formation, severity and pain in the gastrointestinal tract. At the same time, Gastal eliminates only the symptoms of diseases, which will have to be treated in other ways. However, it is still quite effective and popular remedy for symptoms of gastritis, ulcers and other stomach problems.
On this page you will find all the information about Gastal: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Gastal. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Gastal? The average price in pharmacies is 200 rubles.
Release form and composition
- Suspensions for oral administration with cherry, orange and mint flavor in packs of 10 ml.
- Tablets with peppermint flavoring in blisters of 6 pieces, packed in 4, 5, 8 and 10 plates in cardboard boxes.
- Pills for sucking with cherry and mint flavor. They are packaged in cardboard boxes containing 4, 5, 8 and 10 blisters of 6 tablets each.
The composition of one tablet for sucking:
- active ingredients: aluminum hydroxide gel - magnesium carbonate - 450 mg, magnesium hydroxide - 300 mg;
- excipients: lactose monohydrate — 30 mg, sorbitol — 50 mg, mannitol — 120 mg, corn starch — 75.8 mg, sodium cyclamate — 7 mg, sodium saccharinate — 0.2 mg, talc — 28 mg, magnesium stearate — 6 mg, peppermint flavoring - 3 mg.
Gastal is a combined antacid, which reduces the increased acidity of gastric juice, while not having a stimulating effect on its secretion.
The active ingredients of the drug provide instant and long-term neutralization of the hydrochloric acid of gastric juice, while maintaining the acidity of the gastric environment at a physiological level - pH 3-5. The instructions to Gastal indicated that the tool is valid for 2 hours. One tablet of the drug can neutralize approximately 21.5 mmol of hydrochloric acid.
The drug inhibits the action of bile acids, pepsin and lysolecithin, suppresses dyspeptic phenomena. Gastal increases the regenerative and protective processes in the gastric mucosa. The components of the drug have a cytoprotective effect by increasing the secretion of sodium bicarbonate and mucin, activating prostaglandin E2 and NO, increasing the concentration of phospholipids in the gastric walls, accumulating epidermal growth factor in damaged areas.
Indications for use
Often patients ask a question, what does Gastal help? Speaking in everyday language, indigestion, heartburn, pain and unpleasant sensations in the stomach are all from which Gastal tablets help well.
Clinical indications for the use of Gastal are:
- Diseases characterized by increased acid formation: gastritis, gastric ulcer, reflux esophagitis.
- Phenomena of dyspepsia, such as epigastric pain, heartburn, discomfort, sour eructation after drinking alcohol, coffee, errors in diet, nicotine, and also occurring after taking a number of medicines.
Now you know that Gastal helps nausea only in special cases. However, before taking this drug, you should know that it has a number of the following contraindications:
- Alzheimer's disease;
- diseases associated with impaired lactose metabolism;
- renal failure (severe forms);
- hypersensitivity to compounds of aluminum, magnesium or other constituents;
- children up to six years.
It should also be noted that this tool is prescribed with caution in chronic kidney failure, children 6-12 years old, adults and adolescents from 12 years old with a weight below 50 kg.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The use of Gastal at any stage of pregnancy is possible only in case of urgent need, taking into account the possible negative impact on the body of the mother and child.
Gastal is not able to stand out with breast milk, and therefore it is approved for use during lactation.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that Gastal taken orally. The tablet should be gradually dissolve in the mouth.
- Adults and children over 12 years old with a body weight of at least 50 kg are prescribed 1-2 tab. 4-6 times / day approximately 1 hour after a meal and before bedtime, but not more than 8 tablets / day. Reception duration - no more than 2 weeks.
For heartburn, it is recommended to prescribe the drug in similar doses, regardless of the meal.
- Adults and children over 12 years old weighing less than 50 kg, children aged 6 to 12 years old are prescribed half the recommended dose for adults and children over 12 years old with a body weight of at least 50 kg. Reception duration - no more than 2 weeks.
Patients with chronic renal failure do not require dose adjustment. Reception duration - no more than 2 weeks.
Taking the drug rarely leads to side effects. And an allergy to the action of active substances can manifest itself in the form:
- changes in taste.
In rare cases, an allergic reaction to components of Gastal is nausea or vomiting. And if there are problems with the kidneys, there is sometimes a decrease in blood pressure and the emergence of unreasonable thirst. All side effects are mainly the consequences of too long use of the drug and stop after the end of his medication.
- Violations of metabolic processes (destruction of bone tissue, increased bone fragility).
- Violations of the urinary system (functional disorders of the kidneys, calcification of the kidneys).
- Ionic balance disorders (decrease in calcium ion levels in the blood, decrease in the level of phosphorus ions in the blood, increase in the level of calcium ions in the urine, increase in the level of magnesium ions in the blood, increase in aluminum ions in the blood).
All the symptoms described were observed only during prolonged use of the drug in a very high dosage. They are eliminated by taking the appropriate medication after discontinuing Gastal.
- It is not recommended to use the drug for more than 2 weeks without a doctor's prescription.
- It is necessary to consult with a doctor if after treatment there has been a noticeable decrease in body weight, persistent abdominal discomfort and difficulty in swallowing, and indigestion.
- Reducing the dosage and duration of the course of the drug is recommended for children and adults who weigh less than 50 kg.
- Prolonged use of Gastal in patients with renal insufficiency leads to an increase in plasma concentrations of aluminum and magnesium - this may be the cause of the development of dementia, encephalopathy, microcytic anemia.
- Aluminum compounds are poorly absorbed in the intestine, however, excessive or long-term use of the drug can lead to a decrease in phosphate concentration in the body, which is accompanied by an acceleration of bone resorption and the appearance of hypercalciuria with an increased risk of osteomalacia.
- Aluminum hydroxide can cause constipation, and magnesium hydroxide - intestinal hypokinesia. The use of Gastal in large doses can cause or strengthen intestinal obstruction, especially in patients with renal failure or in the elderly.
- During pregnancy or breastfeeding the use of Gastal tablets is possible only after consulting a doctor.
Gastal reduces the acidity of gastric contents, reducing the rate and extent of absorption of antibiotics of the tetracycline group of fluoroquinolones 1 generation, iron-containing preparations, fat-soluble vitamins, naproxen, salicylates, NSAIDs, H2-histamine blockers, barbiturates, chlorpromazine, Isoniazid, cardiac glycosides, phenytoin, beta adrenblokatorov , indirect anticoagulants, diflunizal.
In combination with Gastalum, absorption of nalidixic acid and levodopa increases. Simultaneous reception of M-anticholinergic blockers detains antacid drug in the stomach, extending its therapeutic effect.
We picked up some feedback from people about Gastal:
- Natalia. Instantly relieves heartburn for a very long time. I have an increased acidity of the stomach. These pills are just my salvation. I buy without flavors, the usual.
- Asya. Pretty good drug. One time it was difficult for me to eat, after each meal I was tormented by heartburn. At first, “Gastal helped me a lot, I even carried it with me for all occasions. But then either my body got used to this drug, or it became less effective, “Gastal” simply became useless. After a long break, it is still worth starting to take it again.
- Sasha. Yes, as a fast-acting remedy, Gastal is good - it helps for a short time, but not always for a long time. Heartburn returns again and again. However, escape in an emergency order, if you urgently need to feel good, it is quite possible. But then you must certainly begin to treat the underlying disease.
- Denis. Recently, heartburn has been very troubling, has been looking for a cure for it for a long time, and the pharmacy offered to try gastal. The next morning, the heartburn seemed to bother me less after taking the medicine, but when the heartburn started again in the evening, I tried the drug, the heartburn did not stop. When I contacted a pharmacy, I was told that there were no complaints about the drug. After my experience, I can say that the drug is not suitable for everyone.
Negative reviews of Gastal are associated with a lack of effect. In this case, people, as a rule, write that pills do not help them, and consider this to be evidence of the poor quality of the drug. There are some negative reviews, due to the gradual decrease in the effect with prolonged use of the drug. However, in either case, the pills are not bad or ineffective, just each person is different. All drugs must be selected individually, taking into account the characteristics of the organism.
Analogues of this drug - a large group of antacid drugs. The closest to Gastal in terms of the effect on the body are drugs such as:
- "Almagel Neo",
- "Gaviscon Forte",
- "Maalox Mini",
- "Palmagel A",
- "Rennie" and others.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Gastal tablets have a shelf life of - years from the date of their release. It is necessary to store the drug in a dark, dry place at an air temperature not higher than + 25 ° C. Keep away from children.