Pancreatin is a natural enzyme of the human pancreas.
The drug is made from crushed pig gland. The main role of this substance is the breakdown of the ingested nutrients and the improvement of their absorption in the intestine. Being an enzyme, pancreatin is not absorbed in the lumen of the digestive tract, but exerts its effect directly upon contact with food.
The use of Pancreatin helps improve digestion, provides normalization of the processes of digestion and helps to improve the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. The drug provides a replenishment of the lack of pancreatic enzymes, has amylolytic, lipolytic and proteolytic properties, enhances the breakdown of proteins, carbohydrates and fats in the duodenum.
The drug is characterized by a fairly rapid and complete absorption.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Pancreatin in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 30 rubles.
Release form and composition
Pancreatin is available in the form of small brown tablets covered on top of an enteric coating. The drug has a smooth shell of a saturated color, having a light brown color on the fault. Pancreatin is produced in tablet form. The package contains five plates (10 tablets each).
- The composition of the tablets, pills and capsules as the active substance includes Pancreatin (Pancreatinum) with a minimum lipolytic enzyme activity of 4.3 thousand. Ph. Ph. Eur ... The minimum enzyme activity of amylase - from 3.5 thousand. ED Ph. Eur .; proteolytic activity - from 200 IU Ph. Eur ...
As auxiliary components in the manufacture of various dosage forms of the drug are used: sodium chloride (Natrii chloridum), colloidal silicon dioxide (Silicii dioxydum colloidale), microcrystalline cellulose (Cellulosum microcristallicum), collidon Сl (Kollidon Сl), magnesium stearate (magnesium stearate) (magnesium stearate). 30% (Polyacrylate 30%), propylene glycol (Propylene glycol), talc (Talcum), titanium dioxide (Titanium dioxide), sodium carboxymethyl starch (Sodium starch glycolate), starch 1500 (Amylum 1500), povidone 8000 (Povidonum), dyes.
The action of pancreatin is aimed at replenishing the insufficient secretion of pancreatic enzymes. As part of pancreatin, there are three enzymes specific to fats, proteins and carbohydrates: lipase provides the decomposition of fats into glycerol and fatty acids, amylase breaks down starch into simple sugars, protease breaks down proteins into amino acids.
Due to this, there is a complete assimilation of the three organic components of food. A special coating of tablets ensures the smooth passage of the acidic environment of the stomach. Normalizes the processes of digestion in the duodenum, small intestine.
Indications for use
What helps pancreatin tablets? The main indications for the use of drugs include:
- Remheld's syndrome (gasfokardialny syndrome).
- Preparation for X-ray examination and ultrasound examination of abdominal organs.
- Disturbance of food digestion (condition after resection of the stomach and small intestine).
- To improve the digestion of food in individuals with normal gastrointestinal function in case of errors in nutrition (eating fatty foods, large amounts of food, irregular meals) and in violation of chewing function, sedentary lifestyle, prolonged immobilization.
- Replacement therapy for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency: chronic pancreatitis, pancreathectomy, condition after irradiation, dyspepsia, cystic fibrosis; flatulence, diarrhea non-infectious origin.
Pancreatin during pregnancy is not recommended for use, but this item is not included in the list of official contraindications. It is forbidden to take it with individual sensitivity to the components of the composition, as well as for a number of diseases.
Pancreatin cannot be drunk with:
- Empyema gallbladder;
- Hepatic insufficiency, precoma and coma;
- Acute pancreatitis;
- The period of exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis;
- Acute hepatitis;
- Intestinal obstruction;
- Obstructive jaundice;
- Syndrome of glucose-galactose malabsorption.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
There are no data on the safety of Pancreatin in women during pregnancy. Therefore, only a doctor can prescribe a drug to a woman during pregnancy, having previously analyzed the balance between the risks and benefits for the fetus and mother.
When breastfeeding drug is also used only if indicated.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that the dose of Pancreatin (in terms of lipase) depends on the age and degree of pancreatic insufficiency.
- The average dose for adults - 150 000 IU / day. With complete insufficiency of the excretory function of the pancreas - 400 000 U / day, which corresponds to the daily needs of an adult in lipase.
- The maximum daily dose is 15,000 U / kg.
- Children under the age of 1.5 years - 50 000 IU / day; over 1.5 years old - 100,000 U / day.
The duration of treatment can vary from several days (in case of a violation of the digestive process due to errors in the diet) to several months and even years (if necessary, constant replacement therapy).
While taking Pancreatin tablets, the development of undesirable reactions from various organs and systems is possible:
- Metabolism - hypeurikuria (increased excretion of uric acid), after taking the drug in high doses may increase the level of uric acid in the blood.
- The digestive system - a feeling of discomfort or pain in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, constipation. Children may develop perianal irritation.
- Allergic reactions - rarely develop skin manifestations in the form of rash and itching.
With the development of side effects, the question of discontinuation of the drug is decided by the doctor individually, depending on their nature and severity.
An overdose of Pancreatin on reviews causes the following symptoms: hyperuricemia, hyperuricuria. Overdose in children can cause constipation.
In these cases, the use of Pancreatin should be canceled and symptomatic therapy.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- Not recommended for use in the acute phase of chronic pancreatitis.
- In cystic fibrosis, the use of pancreatin in doses of more than 10,000 U / kg / day (in terms of lipase) is not recommended due to the increased risk of stricture development (fibrous colonopathy) in the ileocecal region and in the ascending colon.
- In cystic fibrosis, the dose should be adequate to the amount of enzymes that are necessary for the absorption of fat, taking into account the quality and quantity of food consumed.
- Violations of the digestive system can occur in patients with hypersensitivity to pancreatin, or in patients with meconium ileus or a bowel resection in history.
- With high activity of lipase contained in pancreatin, the likelihood of developing constipation in children increases. Increasing the dose of pancreatin in this category of patients should be carried out gradually.
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- With the simultaneous use of iron preparations may reduce the absorption of iron.
- With simultaneous use, it is theoretically possible to reduce the clinical efficacy of acarbose.
- When used simultaneously with antacids containing calcium carbonate and / or magnesium hydroxide, it is possible to decrease the effectiveness of pancreatin.
Pancreatin and alcohol compatibility
Alcohol irritates the stomach and aggravates the digestive situation. Therefore, if you take both pancreatin and alcohol, the consequences are not long in coming. There may be an upset stomach, pain. So, answering the question of whether it can be taken together, the answer is in the affirmative. That is, in principle, they are compatible: no cases of serious deterioration were observed. But is it possible to cure the disease with such a "therapy" - the answer is controversial.
We picked up some reviews of people using Pancreatin tablets:
- Olga I never knew what Pancreatin is, although I heard the name from many people. The only thing I know is that when fats are split, all the internal organs work more easily. I began to take 1-2 tablets after each feast - the benefit of the drug is cheap. We often have guests, but with this medicine I take overeating much easier.
- Nastya. She gave Pancreatin to her 4 year old child when he had problems with the chair during rotavirus. The doctor prescribed to take the pills for 3 months, so that there was a benefit, but I was afraid, and gave the son a drug for only a month. The child recovered, the chair got better, I thought it was too long to poison him with enzyme tablets so as not to heal from other ills.
- Sasha. Pancreatin is our good drug, but only when it comes to serious problems with the pancreas. Yes, if you have eaten at the festive table, then 1-2 tablets of Pancreatin, as well as Mezim (medicine of one property) will help you digest the excess that you had enough. But in case of chronic pancreatitis, these medicines are like an elephant, it is better then to take Creon, there will be more enzymes and the treatment will be effective. The only negative is the price. Therefore, everyone takes Pancreatin, and if you count the price plus the effect, the alignment will be different.
There are several analogues that are more expensive in cost, but identical in action. They are easy to find, order by catalog and buy in online stores. These include:
- Gastenorm Forte;
- Gastenorm Forte 10,000;
- Creon 10,000;
- Creon 25,000;
- Creon 40,000;
- Mezim 20,000;
- Mezi Forte;
- Mezim Forte 10,000;
- Pangrol 25000;
- Pangrol 10,000;
- Panzim Forte;
- Panzinorm 10,000;
- Panzinorm Forte 20000;
- Pancreatin Forte;
- Festal H;
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Pancreatin or Mezim - which is better?
The composition of Mezim is a greater amount of the main enzyme that contributes to the improvement of the digestive process. Therefore, the lack of Pancreatin comes down to the fact that the consumer acquires a "cat in a bag." But the effectiveness of the tools are similar. Therefore, the doctor decides what to choose, especially if the treatment is carried out during pregnancy.
In the normal state, both products can be used independently. Considering the question of whether pancreatin or Mezim forte - which is better, it can be noted that there is no definite answer. Although the difference between drugs is present. Reviews show that answering the question "what is best for the child", it is worth giving preference to Mezim. But when choosing Pancreatin or Mezim for pancreatitis, another drug is leading.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The drug is stored no more than 3 years in a place protected from the sun at a temperature not higher than 25ºC. After the expiration of this period, the enzyme activity of the active substances decreases.