Tetracycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that has a bacteriostatic effect.
The drug destroys gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Tetracycline was widely used as a drug for the treatment of various purulent skin diseases (including furunculosis, acne), inflammatory processes of the respiratory tract (tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.) and the genitourinary system (gonorrhea, syphilis, etc. ).
It has various dosage forms: tablets for oral administration, ointment for external use. It is used to treat infectious diseases whose pathogens are pathogenic bacteria that are sensitive to the effect of the drug.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much does tetracycline cost in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 100 rubles.
Composition and release form
Tetracycline tablets have a pink color, a round shape and a biconvex surface. The main active ingredient of the drug is tetracycline, its content in one tablet is 100 mg. It also includes additional components, which include:
- Calcium stearate.
- Titanium dioxide.
- Polyvinyl alcohol.
- Microcrystalline cellulose.
- Croscarmellose sodium.
The tablets are packaged in a blister of 20 pieces. The carton pack contains 1 blister with pills, as well as instructions for use of the drug.
According to the classification, this drug is included in tetracycline group antibiotics. It is active against many gram-positive microbes: Clostridium spp., Staphylococcus spp., Listeria spp., Streptococcus pneumoniae, Bacillus anthracis, Actinomyces israelii. In addition, this tool can be used against many Gram-negative microorganisms: Haemophilus ducreyi, Salmonella spp., Acinetobacter spp., Yersinia pestis, Haemophilus influenzae, Bartonella bacilliformis, Borrelia burgdorferi, Enterobacter spp., Bordetella, asparanty virus, Borrelia burgdorferi, Elixia virus, Borobia burgdorferi, Eoparas, Borrelia burgdorferi, Elixia virus, Borrelia burgdorferi. spp., Francisella tularensis, Vibrio cholerae, Rickettsia spp., Escherichia coli, Brucella spp.
The drug is also active for Chlamydia psittaci, Treponema spp., Calymmatobacterium granulomatis, Chlamydia trachomatis, Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
The degree of absorption of the drug when applied on an empty stomach is 75-77%, in the case of use during food absorption decreases. The active substance binds to plasma proteins by 55-65%. When administered orally, the maximum plasma concentration is noted after 2-3 hours. It gradually decreases over 8 hours.
Once in the body, the active substance accumulates in the liver, lungs, kidneys, as well as in organs that are characterized by a developed reticulo-endothelial system. The content in bile is about 5-10 times more than in the serum. Tetracycline hydrochloride also accumulates in the bone tissue, dentin, tumor tissues, and enamel of milk teeth. Gets through a placental barrier and into milk at lactation.
The half-life is 6-11 hours. 20-50% of the drug excreted through the intestines.
Indications for use
Official instructions for use of Tetracycline tablets indicate that they are effective in the following pathologies:
- All infectious diseases caused by pathogen-sensitive microorganisms.
- Intestinal amebiasis, cholera, anthrax, brucellosis, rickettsiosis, syphilis, tularemia, trachoma, yaws, listeriosis, uncomplicated gonorrhea, plague, inguinal granuloma, chlamydiaz, psittacosis, actinomycosis, etc.
- Infections of the skin, bones, soft tissues, mucous membranes (gingivitis, stomatitis, including necrotic ulceration), acne, carbunculosis, furunculosis, skin suppurations, conjunctivitis.
- Bacterial infections of the respiratory, urinary tract.
- children's age up to 8 years;
- second and third trimesters of pregnancy;
- breastfeeding period;
- increased individual sensitivity to the components of the drug.
Tetracycline tablets are used with caution in patients with renal insufficiency.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Tetracycline tablets are taken orally with a large amount of liquid.
Adults are usually prescribed 4 times a day, 0.25-0.5 g or 2 times a day (every 12 hours), 0.5-1 g. The maximum dose is 4 g per day. Children from 8 years old are prescribed 4 times a day (every 6 hours) at 6.25-12.5 mg / kg, or every 12 hours at 12.5-25 mg / kg.
- For uncomplicated gonorrhea, the drug is prescribed in an initial single dose of 1.5 g, after which, for 4 days every 6 hours, 0.5 g (total dose - 9 g).
- In the treatment of acne Tetracycline is used at 0.5-2 g per day. With the improvement of the condition (usually after 3 weeks), the dose is gradually reduced to supporting - 0.125-1 g. Adequate remission of acne can be achieved with intermittent therapy or taking the drug every other day.
- With early syphilis for 15 days, it should be taken every 6 hours with 0.5 g of tetracycline, with late syphilis, the drug is taken within 30 days.
- In the treatment of brucellosis, for 3 weeks every 5 hours, 0.5 g of tetracycline is indicated at the same time as intramuscular administration of 1 g of streptomycin (for the first week - every 12 hours, for the second week - once a day).
- For uncomplicated urethral, rectal and endocervical infections caused by Chlamydia trachomatis, the drug at a dose of 0.5 g should be taken 4 times a day for at least 7 days.
Possible adverse reactions:
- CNS: headache, increased RF pressure, dizziness;
- urinary system: azotemia, hypercreatininemia;
- hematopoietic organs: hemolytic anemia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, eosinophilia;
- organs of the digestive system: dysphagia, increased sensitivity buds, blunting hunger, diarrhea, glossitis, gastritis, hepatotoxicity, pancreatitis, enterocolitis, vomiting, nausea, esophagitis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, increase in liver transaminases, goiter;
- allergies and immunopathological reactions: skin hyperemia, angioedema, maculopapular rash, systemic lupus erythematosus, anaphylactoid reactions, photosensitization;
- other: superinfection, hypovitaminosis B, discoloration of milk teeth enamel, candidiasis, stomatitis.
Exceeding the recommended therapeutic dosage of tetracycline tablets is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and blood in the urine (hematuria). In this case, after pre-washing the stomach, intestines, as well as taking intestinal sorbents (activated carbon), symptomatic therapy is carried out in a hospital, as there is no specific antidote for tetracycline.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- The use of tetracycline in children during the development of teeth can lead to an irreversible change in their color.
- During the treatment period, vitamins of group B, K, brewer's yeast should be used to prevent hypovitaminosis.
- With prolonged use, it is necessary to periodically monitor the function of the kidneys, liver, blood-forming organs.
- Tetracycline should not be taken simultaneously with milk and other dairy products, since at the same time absorption of an antibiotic is broken.
Interaction with other drugs
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- With the simultaneous use of tetracycline with retinol may develop intracranial hypertension.
- At simultaneous use with kolestiramin or kolestipol violation of absorption of tetracycline is noted.
- Preparations containing metal ions (antacids, preparations containing iron, magnesium, calcium) form inactive chelates with tetracycline, and therefore their simultaneous use should be avoided.
- It is necessary to avoid combination with penicillins, cephalosporins, which have a bactericidal effect and which are antagonists of bacteriostatic antibiotics (including tetracycline).
We offer you to read the reviews of people using the drug Tetracycline:
- Kostya. A good antibiotic, when a cough or a sore throat appears, helps, only I don’t drink but I keep in my mouth until it is completely dissolved, I swallow this bitterness, but only red pills, so the mother-in-law suggested.)
- Lyudmila. As soon as my skin deteriorates and some kind of nastiness jumps up, I immediately smear with tetracycline, the inflammation becomes less, and after a day, that horrible white rod disappears, which scares everyone so much. Of all the ointments that I tried, this one showed the best result! Be sure to buy it again. She also helps to lighten a little pigment spots.
- Paul. Tetracycline is a very common and quite famous antibiotic. I remember him since childhood. I was about ten when I first fell ill with pneumonia. I remember now that I was prescribed tetracycline. There were other drugs, but unfortunately I can’t remember their names. It was hard to drink tetracycline tablets - they are very bitter, but the end result was positive. As far as I know, tetracycline is indeed superior in many ways to other antibiotic drugs.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Tetracycline hydrochloride.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Store in a dark place at a temperature: not more than 15 ° C (eye ointment); 20-25 ° C (tablets and ointment for external use). Keep out of the reach of children.
Shelf life - 3 years.