Forlax (INN - macrogol) - the original French laxative with osmotic properties. Used in the treatment of constipation in both adults and children.
The therapeutic effect begins to manifest a day or two after taking the drug. Dosage regimen is as follows: 1-2 sachets in the morning or 1 sachet in the morning and evening (this is not a dogma - the dose can be adjusted as appropriate). Before use, the powder is dissolved in a glass of water. The duration of treatment of adult patients and children over 8 years is usually 3 months.
If symptoms of constipation persist after 3 months of regular use of the drug, additional in-depth diagnostic examination is necessary.
Laxative drug with osmotic properties.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much is Forlax in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 310 rubles.
Composition and release form
Forlax has only one form of release - powder with an aromatic additive (orange and grapefruit), packaged in sachets of 4 or 10 g each. The package can have 10 or 20 sachets.
- Depending on the dosage, one package of the drug contains 4 g or 10 g of macrogol 4000 + additional ingredients (sodium saccharinate, grapefruit and orange oil, citral, linalol, alpha terpineol, maltodextrin, E420, E220, E320, cis-3-hexenol, orange juice, acetaldehyde, ethyl butyrate, octanal, acacia gum).
The powder quickly dissolves in water, forming a translucent white solution.
Forlax - a means of osmotic laxatives based on macrogol. The composition of the long linear molecules of this polymer includes hydrogen bonds that can hold water molecules. Thus, there is an increase in intestinal contents.
As a result of the application of Forlax, the contraction of the intestine is enhanced, and a reflex irritation of its walls occurs with an increased volume. The drug contributes to the promotion of intestinal contents and does not adversely affect the water and electrolyte balance in the body, as well as the level of vitamins and trace elements.
The use of Forlax helps to soften the feces in constipation. The laxative effect is observed after 24-48 hours from the moment of receiving the funds.
The drug is not absorbed into the bloodstream, acting solely in the intestinal lumen.
Indications for use
The drug is used to treat systematic constipation, to prepare patients for diagnostic studies of the intestine (endoscopic or radiological) or for surgical interventions on the large intestine and abdominal organs.
There are several conditions of the patient, in which the use of Forlax powder is contraindicated, these include:
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease - Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis.
- Diagnosed with intestinal obstruction or suspicion of its development.
- Hypersensitivity to macrogol 4000 or auxiliary components of the drug.
- The presence of perforation (the formation of a through hole) or the threat of its development of the wall of any of the intestinal sections.
- Toxic increase in the diameter of the colon with a functional spasm of smooth muscles of its walls.
- Abdominal pain of unknown origin.
Before you start taking Forlax powder, it is important to make sure that there are no contraindications.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy, Forlax is prescribed with great care and if there are clear grounds for this. However, data on its negative impact on the fetus is not. In this case, the drug is allowed to use for lactating women, since it is practically not absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and, therefore, does not enter the blood and breast milk.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use, the contents of 1 sachet should be dissolved in approximately 50 ml of water and taken orally in the morning (at a dose of 1 sachet / day), or in the morning and in the evening (at a dose of more than 1 sachet / day).
- Children aged 6 months to 1 year, appoint 1 sachet / day;
- From 1 to 4 years old - 1-2 sachets / day;
- from 4 to 8 years - 2-4 bags / day.
It should be remembered that according to reviews Forlax begins to act within 1-2 days after ingestion. The therapeutic effect is enhanced if during the course of therapy to observe sufficient physical activity, to drink a lot and eat food rich in plant fiber.
The duration of treatment is not more than 3 months. If the symptoms of constipation persist for more than 3 months, it is necessary to conduct a re-extended diagnostic examination.
- diarrhea, nausea, bloating;
- allergic reactions;
- dehydration (rarely).
- acute, prolonged abdominal pain;
- excessive gas formation, nausea;
- itching on the skin and urticaria are also possible.
Exceeding the recommended therapeutic dose of Forlax powder is accompanied by significant diarrhea. In this case, the use of the drug should be discontinued. When dehydration and loss of salts may require the restoration of water and electrolyte balance in a medical hospital.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- Before starting therapy, organic gastrointestinal diseases should be excluded.
- Forlax contains sorbitol, so the drug should not be used in patients with congenital fructose intolerance.
- Treatment of constipation with medications is recommended only as an addition to a healthy lifestyle and diet, for example: increased consumption of fluids and fiber; adequate physical activity that contributes to the restoration of gastrointestinal motility.
- Cases of aspiration have been reported with the introduction of large volumes of polyethylene glycol with electrolytes through a nasogastric tube. Children suffering from neurological disorders with a violation of swallowing are at risk of aspiration.
- Very rare cases of hypersensitivity have been reported (including rashes, urticaria, edema) while taking medications containing macrogol (polyethylene glycol). In exceptional cases, anaphylactic shock was observed.
- Forlax does not contain a large amount of sugar or polyol, so the drug can be prescribed to patients with diabetes mellitus, as well as to patients from whose diet galactose is excluded.
- In the case of diarrhea with extreme caution should be treated patients who are prone to violations of water and electrolyte balance (for example, in patients with impaired liver or kidney function, or patients receiving diuretics); in such cases it is necessary to control the content of electrolytes.
Compatibility with other drugs
Forlax will slow down the absorption of concurrently taken drugs. Therefore, it is recommended to prescribe it not earlier than 2 hours after taking other drugs.
We offer to read the reviews of people who used Forlax:
- Svetlana I liked forlax, usually laxatives act sharply, quickly and rather painfully for the intestines and priests, and after taking forlax there is not a single unpleasant symptom, only after a time a mild cleansing of the intestines. And in fact, I took him a month to restore an independent chair. It turned out, I'm happy.
- Irina. I was given “Forlax” in the hospital when I was in the hospital, I could not go to the toilet at all. Thanks to the nurse, advised a really soft remedy. I didn’t so often come across laxatives, I only had to use it once, but there was also a forlax — the action is completely different. If I didn’t know that I was taking the medicine, I would have decided that the intestines had cleared itself. She took two weeks, until the end of inpatient treatment, there was no more constipation either in the hospital or when she returned home.
- Sofia. My husband was prescribed by a doctor to treat chronic constipation. Initially, I was embarrassed by the fact that you need to drink a whole month and that the effect must be waited for 24 hours, but then I realized that this is the opposite plus. First, for a month, constipation is cured, and not just symptoms are removed, and secondly, the effect is not immediate, it does not tie to the toilet, so you live in your usual schedule and that's it. Now there are no problems with the chair, but a couple of sachets in the first-aid kit lie, just in case, if any of the seven members still have constipation.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Forteza Rompharm;
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Forlax or Duphalac?
Duphalac has the same indications as Forlax, however Duphalac is still used in the complex treatment of hepatic encephalopathy and hepatic precoma due to the fact that it is able to suppress proteolytic and stimulate lactic acid bacteria.
The main difference between Forlax and Duphalac is that the latter can be administered to children, starting from infancy, and to pregnant women. In addition, Duphalac contains lactulose, which has a positive effect on the intestinal microflora, in particular, inhibits the growth of Salmonella and shortens the period of bacteriocarrier.
According to the principle of action and the timing of the appearance of a weakening effect, the preparations are completely identical.
Shelf life and storage conditions
To store Forlax is not dependent on the form of release is necessary at a temperature of a maximum of 30 degrees, in a place where children will not get them. The shelf life of the drug is 3 years, after which it can not be used.