Cerebrolysin is a drug that stimulates neurometabolic processes.
The tool increases the functionality of the intracellular processes of the central nervous system, positively affects the protective functions and cellular renewal. The active ingredient of the drug is a complex of short peptides with high biological activity. It is isolated from the pig's brain, after which it is cleaned, processed and a concentrated solution is prepared.
Cerebrolysin has a positive effect on many reactions taking place in the brain tissues: it activates protein synthesis and the movement of amino acids into neurons, eliminates motor and sensory impairments, improves memory and learning. These properties of the drug are most pronounced in the aging nervous system, developing or affected by external influences.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much does Cerebrolysin in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 1,100 rubles.
Composition and release form
The drug is available in the form of an injection solution with a 5% concentration. Pharmacies receive the drug in apmules (Cerebrolysin 5 ml No. 5; 1 ml No. 10; 2 ml No. 10; 10 ml No. 5) and in sealed with a rubber stopper with a fluoropolymer coating brown glass bottles of 30 or 50 ml.
- The composition of one milliliter of the solution consists of 215.2 mg of Cerebrolysin concentrate (a peptide preparation obtained from the pig brain) and auxiliary components: caustic soda (Natrii hydroxidum), water for injection (Aqua pro injectionibus).
Active amino acids and peptides of the drug easily penetrate from the blood into neurons, providing organ-specific complex effects on the brain. The drug provides neuroprotection, functional neuromodulation, as well as the regulation of metabolism.
According to the instructions, Cerebrolysin and Cerebrolysin analogues increase the efficiency of energy aerobic metabolism in brain tissues, improve protein synthesis in the neurons of the aging and developing brain, reduce the harmful effects of lactic acidosis, and stimulate trans-synaptic transmission.
The neuroprotective effect of Cerebrolysin is to increase the resistance of brain tissue to hypoglycemia, intoxication, hypoxia, and other damaging effects. It is established that the drug has an antioxidant effect (inhibits the process of free radical oxidation). In addition, Cerebrolysin has a positive effect on the homeostasis of trace elements-antioxidants (vanadium, magnesium, selenium, potassium, manganese).
Judging by the reviews, Cerebrolysin with regular use contributes to the revitalization of mental processes and improve mood. Some reviews of Cerebrolysin state that long-term use of the drug in treatment contributes to the improvement of the processes of memorizing and reproducing information, concentration, ability to receive and preserve various skills.
Cerebrolysin is the only nootropic peptidergic drug with clinically proven neurotrophic activity. Neurotrophic activity allows Cerebrolysin to stop or significantly slow down the progressive neurodegenerative processes in the brain tissues.
Indications for use
The use of Cerebrolysin is indicated for the following pathologies:
- Alzheimer's disease;
- Insufficiency of blood circulation in the brain of a chronic course;
- Brain damage caused by injuries of varying severity;
- Degradation of mental activity of various origins;
- Stroke caused by insufficient blood supply to the brain;
- Mental retardation in preschool children;
- Chronic mood loss due to impaired activity of the nervous system;
- Increased activity and lack of attention in children.
Allergic diathesis, renal failure, status epilepticus, pregnancy, hypersensitivity to preprat components.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Animal studies revealed no evidence of reproductive toxicity.
However, data on the effect of cerebrolysin on human reproductive function are not available. In pregnancy, Cerebrolysin can be prescribed only after a careful assessment of the ratio of expected benefits to the mother and the potential risk to the fetus / child. At the time of use of the drug during lactation, breastfeeding should be discontinued.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Cerebrolysin solution is intended for parenteral administration. The volume for intramuscular injection is 5 ml, for intravenous - 10 ml. Intravenous slow drip infusion of a solution up to 50 ml is also allowed. Parenteral use of the drug should be carried out with the obligatory observance of the rules of asepsis and antiseptics aimed at preventing secondary infection of the patient. The mode of application and the recommended therapeutic dosage of the solution for parenteral administration of Cerebrolysin are determined by medical indications:
- Depression, psychoorganic syndrome - 5-30 ml once a day.
- Acute ischemic stroke, traumatic brain injury, complications after neurosurgical surgery - 10-50 ml 1 time per day.
- Alzheimer's disease, dementia of various (including vascular) origin - the recommended therapeutic dosage varies from 5 to 30 ml once a day.
- The recovery period with the presence of residual (residual) neurological phenomena after a stroke, traumatic brain injury - 5-50 ml 1 time per day.
For children, the drug is used in a dosage of 0.1-0.2 ml per 1 kg of body weight of the child. The average duration of a course of therapy for children and adults varies from 10 to 20 days. If necessary, may be repeated courses of drug therapy. After the course of primary therapy, a supportive treatment can also be prescribed with the injection of Cerebrolysin 2-3 times a week. In most cases, the mode of use of the drug, the dosage and duration of therapy are determined by the doctor individually.
Statistical data on the intake of Cerebrolysin and possible side effects are not enough. In some patients, the following side effects were observed during clinical trials and various courses of therapies, but their exact relationship with Cerebrolysin has not been established.
- Respiratory system: shortness of breath, chest pain.
- Gastrointestinal: constipation, nausea, dyspepsia, vomiting.
- Immune system: chills, fever, allergic reactions, edema, anaphylactic shock.
- Mental state: aggression, apathy, weakness, insomnia, confusion.
- Nervous system: dizziness, drowsiness, convulsions, epileptic seizures.
- Cardiovascular system: arrhythmia, tachycardia, increased pressure.
- Skin: itching, redness, rash, increased sweating.
There may also be reactions at the injection site in the form of burning and erythema, pain in the neck and back, the appearance of flu-like symptoms.
Symptoms of overdose
When the dose was exceeded, no cases of intoxication or a sharp change in the patient's state of health were recorded.
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- You should use only a clear solution of Cerebrolysin and only once.
- If the injection is too fast, you may feel hot, sweating, dizziness. Therefore, the drug should be administered slowly.
- Compatibility of the drug was tested and confirmed (for 24 hours at room temperature and the presence of light) with the following standard solutions for infusions: 0.9% sodium chloride solution, Ringer's solution, 5% dextrose (glucose) solution.
- The simultaneous use of the drug Cerebrolysin with vitamins and drugs that improve cardiac circulation is allowed, but these drugs should not be mixed in the same syringe with Cerebrolysin.
Compatibility with other drugs
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- Do not mix in one solution for infusion Cerebrolysin and balanced solutions of amino acids.
- Cerebrolysin is incompatible with solutions containing lipids and with solutions that change the pH of the medium (5.0-8.0).
- Given the pharmacological profile of the drug Cerebrolysin, special attention should be paid to the possible additive effects of co-administration with antidepressants or MAO inhibitors. In such cases, it is recommended to reduce the dose of antidepressant. The use of the drug Cerebrolysin in high doses (30-40 ml) in combination with MAO inhibitors in high doses can cause an increase in blood pressure.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Cerebrolysin:
- Lena. I was prescribed antidepressants at one time, but they did not help me. In addition to lethargy and unwillingness to do anything, I noticed that everything just falls out of my hands, I can not concentrate on anything. My mother and I went to the doctor, he prescribed Cerebrolysin intramuscularly. After three weeks, I noticed that I began to better concentrate and think.
- Alina. I used Cerebrolysin for medicinal purposes, due to high blood pressure, pain in my head, and besides a headache, I also had insomnia for a long time. She put injections, 14 of them, already against the background of the treatment, in the middle of the course I began to sleep like a cub, I began to dream such dreams, in the morning I began to feel well rested. Headaches reduced. there are only if high blood pressure rises, but the doctor said that treatment should be carried out regularly. I'm not against)
- Helena. I have a chronic violation of cerebral and peripheral circulation. With this diagnosis, I have been living for years. Periodically I undergo Cerebrolysin treatment. It is effective, yes, although for a long time its effect does not persist. But temporary improvement is evident, it is a fact.
The drug Cerebrolysin has no structural analogues for the active substance.
Analogs for pharmacological group (nootropic drugs):
- Glutamic acid;
- Hopanthenic acid;
- Nookholin Rompharm;
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The shelf life of the solution for parenteral administration Cerebrolysin in ampoules is 5 years, in vials - 4 years. The drug should be stored in the original factory packaging, dark, dry, out of the reach of children at air temperature not higher than + 25 ° C.